Wellow is a small village of about 500 inhabitants, four miles south of the City of Bath. It has many warm, golden coloured cottages and is situated in a conservation area. The Manor House in the High Street, was the home of the Hungerford family, who bought Wellow Manor in the 1330s. The present Manor House was built in 1634.
St. Julian’s Church was rebuilt around 1372 by Sir Thomas Hungerford, the first speaker of the House of Commons. There is a pedestrian medieval packhorse bridge across the Wellow Brook.
The village had a station on the Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway, but this closed in 1966 and the station building, The Old Station in Station Lane, was converted to a private house by Sir Peter Blake, the artist and his wife. Sir Peter Blake is best known for co-creating the sleeve design for the Beatles’ album, Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band. He returned to live in London in 1979. The railway track east of the village, is now part of National Cycle Route NCR24.
The village has one pub, the Fox and Badger in Railway Lane, which dates from the 16th century and was previously known as the New Inn.
Where in England is Wellow, Somerset
[codespacing_progress_map post_ids=”7316″ faceted_search=”no” carousel=”no”]