Hartland is a large village close to Hartland Point, on the north west tip of Devon. It is remote, but has many craft shops and potteries. It is a centre for walking the South West Coast Path and particularly, the Hartland Peninsula. Hartland incorporates Stoke, a hamlet to the west of the village. St. Nectan’s Church in Stoke, has the highest tower in Devon, being 128 feet tall. It is a significant landmark for ships in the Bristol Channel. Built in the 14th century, the church is 137 feet long.

Hartland Point, a 325 feet rocky outcrop, is three miles north west of the village. There is a lighthouse on the tip. It was built in 1874 and is a Grade II listed tower. The lamp is 121 feet above sea level, but it has now been decommissioned and the lighthouse is in private ownership. The Ministry of Defence has a radar station on the Point. The three mile walk from Hartland Quay to Hartland Point can only be described as breathtaking. It is both beautiful and dramatic, with lovely views of the Atlantic Ocean. There are car parks at both Hartland Quay and Hartland Point. Today, there is a passenger helicopter service to Lundy Island from the Heliport from October to January each year, when the shipping passenger services cease during the winter months.

Hartland Quay is the site of an ancient and historic port, set amongst spectacular coastal scenery. The Quay was built in the 16th century, but was washed away in 1887. The customs houses and warehouses have now been converted into the Hartland Quay Hotel. Hartland Quay Museum provides information on the history and legends of the Quay, including shipwrecks and smuggling activity. Guests at the hotel and visitors to the Wreckers Retreat Bar can enjoy the panorama of Lundy Island and views to Cornwall. There are spectacular rock formations on the cliffs at Hartland Quay, whilst at low tide, there is plenty of sand and rock pools for children to explore. Below the cliffs, there is the rusting hull of MS Johanna, which was driven on the rocks less than 400 metres from the Lighthouse on 31st December 1982. Four crew had to be rescued by helicopter from RAF Chivenor and three officers were taken off by the RNLI Lifeboat from Clovelly.