Elstead is a small village between Farnham and Godalming in Surrey, not far from the A3 London to Portsmouth main road. It is surrounded by woods, heathland and River Wey water meadows. Its buildings are situated on the north and south sides of the River Wey. There is a small village green. The River Wey Navigation opened in 1653 and was one of the first British rivers to be made navigable. It was originally used for transporting heavy goods to London up the River Thames. The River Wey has been an important part of Elstead’s history, providing a site for a watermill as well as for transport. The road bridge over the River Wey was built in the 14th century and strengthened by Surrey County Council in 1993.
St. James Church was built around 1138 and contains 13th century windows and 14th century timbers. The village has several pubs and restaurants which have long histories. The Mill at Elstead is a converted mill on the River Wey. After being occupied by Oliver Cromwell’s Roundhead soldiers, it burnt down in 1647 and was rebuilt in 1648. It was used as a corn mill until the late 18th century, before becoming a manufacturing workshop for braid used on military uniforms. Records show that one hundred people worked here. In World War II, it was used as a hospital. The Mill has lovely grounds for customers to enjoy meals and drinks and is also popular as a wedding venue. In the village, The Woolpack pub welcomes walkers and their dogs. It was originally a wool exchange and dates back to the 17th century. In the 17th century, the production of woollen cloth was important to Elstead and other local villages. This is demonstrated by the pub name, The Woolpack and another Elstead village pub, The Golden Fleece.
Where in England is Elstead, Surrey?
[codespacing_progress_map post_ids=”12058″ faceted_search=”no” carousel=”no”]