North Bovey is a lovingly preserved Devon village, eleven miles from Exeter, on the east side of Dartmoor. It is on a hillside above the River Bovey, from which it gets its name. The village consists of thatched granite cottages, many over 200 years old, clustered around an oak tree village green. It contains a well, pump and trough, as well as a village cross.
The 13th century thatched Ring of Bells Inn flanks the Green. In January 2016, the Inn suffered a devastating fire and has been closed since. It is hoped that the restored Inn will reopen by the end of 2017. The old rectory stable block has been converted to the Village Hall and is a building of great beauty. The granite Church of St. John the Baptist, is reached through a lychgate, which is a memorial to those who lost their lives in the 1914-1918 War.
Out of the village, towards Moretonhampstead, is a neo-Elizabethan mansion, completed in 1907, for Viscount Hambledon, the son of W.H. Smith, the famous newsagent. It was known as the Manor House Hotel, but is now called Bovey Castle. It has an 18 hole championship golf course.