Much Hadham is regarded by many, as the most attractive village in Hertfordshire. It has a long main street, filled with well preserved Elizabethan cottages and fine quality gentlemen’s residences of the 18th and early 19th centuries. There is a range of varied architectural styles exhibited. Victorian almshouses, skilled pargeting and black and white timber cladding, record Hertfordshire’s prosperity over the centuries.
Much Hadham’s prosperity originates from the Bishop’s Palace, a long brick house, which for eight hundred years, was the country residence of the Bishops of London. It is situated close to the church, behind the main street. “The Lordship” at the beginning of the street, is a large country gentleman’s house, built in the mid 18th century, with stables and a crowned clock-tower. Much Hadham Hall, built in 1735, is a splendid mansion with a central Venetian window. Morris Cottage, with its exposed timbers, probably dates from the 16th century.
St. Andrew’s Church is large and dates from 1220. The tower, with its tall spire, had been added by 1404, but the roof and south porch were not added until the 15th century. In the churchyard is Henry Moore’s sculpture, “Heads of a King and Queen”. He was a resident of the village from 1940, until his death in 1986. His 16th century farmhouse, “Hoglands”, at Perry Green and the seventy acre estate containing his studios, are now owned by the Henry Moore Foundation and are open to the public. Moore and his wife, Irina, lived and worked here from 1940, when their London home was damaged in the Blitz. It was a magnet for the famous and powerful. President Mitterand of France and Chancellor Schmidt of Germany, visited them here, as well as the actresses, Lauren Bacall, Julie Andrews and many prominent writers and painters. Celebrity residents of the village have included, Bob Monkhouse, Chas & Dave, and The Pet Shop Boys.