Lower Halstow is a small village in Kent, north-west of Sittingbourne, with an interesting history. It is situated on the banks of the River Medway Estuary and on the A2 Roman Road. It is also on the Saxon Shore Way, a long distance footpath of 153 miles, which runs from Gravesend to Hastings, following the coastline of South-East England as it was in Roman times. The situation of Lower Halstow meant that over the years, the village made its living from the water. Fishing, barge building and pottery making, have all played their part. In the 19th and 20th century, brickmaking at Eastwood Brickworks, was important.
Moored at The Old Brickfields Dock, is the Edith May, a wooden Thames sailing barge, which was built in Harwich in 1906. In the winter months since 2009, it has provided a popular tea room. In 2010, it was restored and now offers charter trips on the River Medway and is available for event hire. Traditionally, the Edith May carried wheat and barley between East Anglia and London. On 3rd June 2012, the barge was part of the largest ever parade of boats, when over 1,000 vessels were assembled on the River Thames in London to form the Avenue of Sail for the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Pageant.
On the banks of the Medway Estuary, is St. Margaret of Antioch Church, one of the oldest churches still in use in England. It is a Grade II Listed Building, dating back to Saxon times in the 7th century. St. Margaret is the patron saint of women in childbirth. The church has Roman tiles built into the brickwork, which were taken from a Roman villa in the village. There is also a rare Norman lead font, which is possibly the oldest in the country.
The Three Tuns Inn is a Grade II Listed pub on The Street, a short walk from the Quay and the Saxon Shore Way. The building dates from 1468. The Three Tuns was granted an ale licence in 1764. It is a traditional pub with a large garden and a renowned reputation for good food, which from personal experience, we have enjoyed. It is not surprising that a customer commented on social media, “The food was amazing but the service was even better!”
Halstow Creek and some of the village, was featured in the film, Wonder Woman, which was recorded in November 2016. It starred Gal Gadot, the Israeli actress, who played Wonder Woman. The docks and grounds of St. Margaret of Antioch Church can be seen in the film. The Quay was transformed to imitate a military encampment on the Belgian coast.