Long Crendon is an attractive village with its many sixteenth and seventeenth century thatched cottages, timber-framed houses and mellow stone walls. It was once an important lace-making centre. Needle-making, as a cottage industry in the village, dates from 1558. By the 1830s, factory made needles had destroyed their trade.
Long Crendon was a prosperous village in medieval times. St. Mary’s Church was begun in the thirteenth century as part of an endowment from Augustinian monks from Notley Abbey, one mile away. It has a tall, greystone tower. The roof to the nave is sixteenth century oak and the three porches are each of different centuries.
Near the church is the fifteenth century Courthouse. Originally used as a wool store, manorial courts were held there in the fifteenth century by the stewards of Catherine, wife of Henry V and continued until Victorian times. It was given to another Catherine, Catherine of Aragon, by Henry VIII. It is a fine example of early timber-framed construction, consisting mainly of one long room, containing a massive fireplace. It was one of the first properties to be acquired by the National Trust in 1900.
Where in England is Long Crendon?
[codespacing_progress_map post_ids=”6424″ faceted_search=”no” carousel=”no”]