Albury is a small village, approximately four miles south-east of Guildford, situated below the North Downs, in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Newlands Corner, at the top of the Downs, is popular with walkers and has spectacular views to the South Downs. There is a large car park, Information Centre and refreshment kiosk. The village is divided into the village of Albury and two hamlets, Farley Green and Little London. They are separated by woods and heathland. The William IV pub, in Little London, dates from 16th century.
Albury today, should really be called Weston Street, as this was the name of the hamlet to which the villagers moved when they were pressurised into leaving the original village of Albury, which is one mile to the east of the present village. This move occurred sporadically from about 1780, when Captain Finch bought the Mansion, which is situated within Albury Park, an estate extending to 150 acres. All that is left of the old village of Albury is within the Park – a few houses and a church.
The Saxon Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, known as the “Old Church” locally, dates from before 1066. It was the parish church until Henry Drummond had a new one built for the villagers in 1841. This new parish church of St. Peter and St. Paul, is a short walk from The Street in Albury. The Old Church is under the care of the Churches Conservation Trust and is open to the public. The pub, The Drummond Arms, now called The Drummond at Albury, is named after the Victorian banker, whose daughter married the Duke of Northumberland.
The Mansion was once the home of the Duke and Duchess of Northumberland, but has been converted into private apartments. The Park is still owned by the Duke of Northumberland.